The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has published an advance copy of the State Operations Manual Appendix Z- Emergency Preparedness for All Provider and Certified Supplier Types Interpretive Guidance.
In a memo to state survey agency directors, CMS explained that the Emergency Preparedness tags will be set up in a similar fashion to the Life Safety Code (LSC) requirements. The emergency preparedness requirements will have a set of tags that will be utilized to cite noncompliance for all 17 provider and supplier types included in the final rule (listed below). The tags for emergency preparedness will be called “E” Tags.
Read more: Survey and Certification letter from CMS
Surveying for compliance with the emergency preparedness requirements does not begin until November 15, 2017.
Many organizations have been waiting for CMS to issue the interpretive guidelines before they finalized their emergency preparedness documents. The final version of Appendix Z will be published the in the online State Operations Manuals and may vary slightly from the advance copy.
If your organization needs assistance in developing documents to meet the requirements for emergency preparedness, or if you would like an assessment of your readiness to meet these new CMS regulations, please contact Compass Clinical Consulting at (513) 241.0142, via email at email@example.com or via our contact page for a confidential discussion of your organization’s needs.
Provider and Supplier Types Included in the Final Rule
- 403.748, Condition of Participation for Religious Nonmedical Health Care Institutions (RNHCIs)
- 416.54, Condition for Coverage for Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASCs)
- 418.113, Condition of Participation for Hospices
- 441.184, Requirement for Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTFs)
- 460.84, Requirement for Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE)
- 482.15, Condition of Participation for Hospitals
- 482.78, Requirement for Transplant Centers
- 483.73, Requirement for Long-Term Care (LTC) Facilities
- 483.475, Condition of Participation for Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID)
- 484.22, Condition of Participation for Home Health Agencies (HHAs)
- 485.68, Condition of Participation for Comprehensive Outpatient Rehabilitation Facilities (CORFs)
- 485.625, Condition of Participation for Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs)
- 485.727, Conditions of Participation for Clinics, Rehabilitation Agencies, and Public Health Agencies as Providers of Outpatient Physical Therapy and Speech-Language Pathology Services
- 485.920, Condition of Participation for Community Mental Health Centers (CMHCs)
- 486.360, Condition of Participation for Organ Procurement Organizations (OPOs)
- 491.12, Conditions for Certification for Rural Health Clinics (RHCs) and Conditions for Coverage for Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs)
- 494.62, Condition for Coverage for End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Facilities
Image credit: iStock / Thinkstock