Interim Chief Nursing Officers (CNO) Available
CNOs provide executive leadership in the day-to-day operations for all assigned areas in the hospital and work in collaboration with clinical and support management, physicians, and the organization’s leadership to ensure that the provision of patient care is delivered in a safe, high-quality environment. Interim Chief Nursing Officers assess the culture of service, employee engagement, quality, patient safety, service excellence, fiscal responsibility, and the overall patient experience.
Interim Chief Nursing Officers from Compass Clinical Consulting
Our interim Chief Nursing Officers are master’s prepared with 25+ years of proven experience in a range of healthcare settings (academic medical centers, Level 1 Trauma Centers, community hospitals) and a track record of strong nursing leadership, and up-to-date knowledge of trends in hospital quality and patient safety. Our interims create an immediate impact in your organization by fitting into your organization’s culture, while ensuring quality patient care is being delivered and contributing to increased efficiency and profitability and improved clinical outcomes and morale.
Strengths and Accomplishments
Our Interim CNOs achieve improvements in quality and operational outcomes that exceed expectations. In addition to their clinical expertise, they bring to each engagement strengths in performance improvement, staff and leadership development, patient experience and engagement, cost reduction, strategic planning, and team building.
These interims have led client organizations to success in a range of areas:
Nursing Leadership and Administration
- Completed a SWOT analysis of patient care quality to include clinical care delivery, patient safety, service excellence, and patient throughput
- Responsible for oversight of various departments in addition to nursing, including: Emergency Department, Surgical Services, Infection Control, Pharmacy, Quality, Cardiopulmonary, Nutritional Services, Utilization Review/Case Management, and the Patient Safety Program
- Managed $25M budget with 750 employees in a 503-bed hospital
- Created a nurse recruitment and retention committee, resulting in a 5% decrease in turnover rate and the hiring of 20 RNs, reducing dependency on agency staffing
- Improved organizational effectiveness, including relationships with medical staff and department leaders
- Maintained quality results by participating in the hospital quality assurance program
- Improved HCAHPS overall rating from 45th percentile to 50-75th percentile
- Engaged the clinical team in moving patient experience outcomes from the 79th percentile to the 99th percentile
- Improved nurse communication from the 65th percentile to 85-90th percentile
- Led the Core Measures Team in partnership with the CMO to achieve 97% perfect care for two consecutive years
- Improved length of stay (LOS) from 50th to 56th percentile ranking for Top 10 DRGs
Accreditation and Compliance
- Successfully prepared departments for Joint Commission survey, receiving no recommendations in care of the patient or patient safety; successfully reinstated Medicare number within 95 days, leading to removal of conditional TJC accreditation
- Prepared numerous varied organizations – including hospitals, clinics, surgery centers, physician practices, and behavioral health facilities – for continuous survey readiness by assessing compliance with standards and implementing ongoing teams to address regulatory compliance
- Revised nursing policies and procedures, forms, and documentation tools necessary to be compliant with regulatory requirements
Productivity and Efficiency
- Improved nursing productivity, resulting in cost savings of $1.5M in 16 months
- Implemented major consolidations for hospital functions including central services, central sterile, EKG tech, and lab tech, resulting in significant cost reductions
- Implemented standards to improve efficiencies in the OR, resulting in increased total surgery volumes
- Managed patient flow in the ER to achieve a 10% admission growth
- Implemented a new Care Delivery Model and reduced salary expenses within inpatient units by $1M
- Implemented staff daily adjustment, reducing overages in FTEs and improving productivity to 100% and better
- Enhanced efficiency and improved the pillar of profitability in the OR in one month by 12% ($534K)
- Developed Cardiology Center of Excellence
- Initiated Open Heart Surgery Program
- Created joint venture for mobile lithotripsy with two hospital systems.
We provide exceptional interim healthcare executives and clinical directors to hospitals throughout the country. We share in our clients’ goals for success, which is why we recruit and place only top-tier, ready-to-go healthcare leaders who meet our rigorous standards in order to match the right people to each hospital’s unique situation. Our people can “hit the ground” running, making their presence known, but also working to fit into the organization’s needs.
If you are interested in retaining one of our skilled Interim Chief Nursing Officers, contact our office at (513) 241.0142, send us an email, or use the contact form below.
Contact Compass Clinical Consulting