Sterilization and High-Level Disinfection Assessments and Consulting Services
Sterilization and high-level disinfection practices are no longer “behind the scenes.” More and more patients who have a post-procedure infection are complaining to state departments of health and the Joint Commission about their bad outcome. These organizations are required to initiate an investigation into the complaint — and the findings are usually a surprise to the hospital.
From our mock surveys at client organizations and our consulting work in sterilization and high-level disinfection (HLD), we know that hospitals and other healthcare organizations are often unprepared for a rigorous review of their sterilization and HLD practices.
Often, inpatient areas outside the main OR and sterilization processing department (SPD), clinics, and other outpatient areas process items using steam sterilization or high-level disinfection that may not meet industry standards. Competency assessment programs may be inconsistent, and quality control processes may fail to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Failing to maintain the recommended sterilization and high-level disinfection practices puts patients at risk for infections (whether clinical or sub-clinical) and the organization at risk for citations by accreditation and regulatory agencies for noncompliance with infection control standards.
Simple Solutions to Achieve a Safe, Compliant Sterilization and High-Level Disinfection Program
With Compass Clinical Consulting’s combination of experience and deep clinical expertise, we know what needs to be in place and how to help healthcare organizations chart a course toward compliance and high reliability.
- We can help client organizations develop policies, guidelines, and tools to achieve a safe and regulatory-compliant hospital sterilization and HLD program.
- And of course, we understand that implementation is easier said than done, which is why we offer on-site training and implementation guidance to ensure that your organization can build and sustain a compliant sterilization and HLD program.
- Furthermore, we can help validate implementation through mock surveys and sterilization and high-level disinfection assessments for status of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) readiness activities with recommendations for improvement.
Sterilization and High-Level Disinfection (HLD) Quick Assessments
To help healthcare organizations consistently perform sterilization and
- First, Compass consultants will conduct an assessment of sterilization and HLD in every area of where these processes are implemented. This involves every aspect of the service, such as policies and procedures, equipment storage and maintenance, staff education and competency, and record keeping. This data gathering approach will result in a report of findings and a set of recommendations to bring current practices into compliance.
- Then, Compass will provide the tools you can use to implement the recommendations and to maintain
compliance afterthe corrective actions are implemented. In addition to these tools, Compass will provide you with all the information and documents you need to create an organization-wide sterilization and high leveldisinfection program that meets current regulatory requirements and will ensure that your patients are safe from contaminated equipment.
The tools we provide are easy to use and can be quickly learned by your staff; however, Compass consultants can also work with your staff and leadership to help you implement the recommendations if needed.
If you don’t know whether your sterilization and high-level disinfection (HLD) practices are compliant, don’t assume that they are. Find out! Contact our office at (513) 241.0142, via email, or fill out the contact form below for a confidential discussion of your needs.
(800) 241.0142 | 100 E. RiverCenter Blvd, Suite 100, Covington, KY 41011